How to Find Your Purpose

In life, it's important to learn from mistakes. To avoid pitfalls that lead to significant loses. 

A good strategy to achieve this is to look to the life of others who achieve big wins. To find out if they encountered the challenges you encounter. And, if they did, find out how they had overcome these challenges. 

A few months ago, I wrote a messy article about finding purpose. Like many twenty somethings, I struggled with the idea that there was a predestined calling I had to find. If i didn't find it, everything else would be a waste. In carrying out the research for the article (What is My Purpose in Life?), I dismissed this idea and argued that doing something useful is more important to actively finding your purpose. 

Last week, I came across a response by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie to a 25 year old who wanted clarity on finding his purpose. She said:
“[...] when I was 25 I didn’t think in those terms. I didn’t think in that kind of language or that “I want to find my purpose.” And I really would advice very strongly that this 25-year old not think in those terms. What it does is, it just clouds your head and you start thinking, “I have to find my purpose, I have to find my purpose.” What you should do is just live. I just think life is short. Do your thing, follow what you love, follow what will give you a job and can help you eat.”
                       

Chimamanda has made significant big wins in her life (Grammy award nominee, Fellowships from Harvard and Princeton. Shortlisted three times for the Bailey’s Women’s Prize and won once, Commonwealth Writers’ Prize, the U.S. National Book Critics Circle Award, the New York Times Top Ten Best Books of the Year, the Chicago Tribune Heartland Prize, The Macarthur Foundation ‘Genius’ Award, the Global Ambassador Achievement Award from the Nigerian government and many others). 

The pitfall to avoid here is the idea that you have to find your purpose. Instead, do what you find exciting and figure out how you can get paid doing it.

Would you agree?



................................................

Post Author: P. W. Uduk

................................................


Photo Sourcewww.olisa.tv 

2 comments:

Leave a comment.

 

Behind The Scene

BasicPulse is written by Paul Uduk.


If you are new to the blog, a good place to start is the description page and a list of the six essential ideas held on the blog.

Join Our Readers

Get Posts in Your Inbox

Featured post

On Being Remarkable