How Music Can Help You Kick Start Getting Things Done.



On Tuesday, an incident –much like the one I describe in my previous post– brought to light another insight that left me feeling I had made another sweet discovery.

I am not accustomed to listening to music. Which, considering the fact that I am a singer, seems quite funny. The reason revolves around a long story tied to upbringing.

I wrote a lengthy analytical write up and distilled my discovery into one point:


Music helps to bypass the hurdle that stops me from getting things done.

Discovering something new seems to bring to attention things that support or add to the discovery.

On Thursday, Tim Ferris published a podcast of an interview he gave to music icon Justin Boreta -a pivotal member of The Glitch Mob. In the comments, someone (Kevin Votaw) suggested focus@will as a response to Tim’s question –what music do you listen to when you work? When you really need to get the zone?

The research carried out by focus@will suggests that music –of a certain kind– helped to bypass the hurdle that stops us from getting things done. They put it in a more scientific term in their white paper. It said:
[...] it makes it easier for you to get into concentration flow, and keeps you there. It works in the background by subtly soothing the part of your brain, the limbic system that is always on the lookout for danger, food, sex or shiny things.
Kevin Votaw put it this way:


[…]music channels scientifically designed to engage with your brain’s limbic system. This soothes the easily distracted flight or fight mechanism.
As I write this post, Allegro Con Spirito from Mozart’s Sonata in D Major for Two Pianos is on repeat in the background. I can say it eased me into focus to write this post.

Between Tuesday (24th February) and Today (1st March), I have made significant progress in two writing projects. And, I begin a singing project with a wonderful team I found –or that found me– this coming week.

I am always willing to add anything that will help me live life better. If it happens to be adding this beautiful habit of listening to music, I am more than happy to, while dancing - mind and body - to the beat when needed.

................................................

Post Written by: P. W. Uduk

................................................


Photo Source: http://trickntricks.com

1 comments:

  1. I should add I would find it difficult to focus if Beyonce's song were playing in the background.

    *grin*

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment.

 

Behind The Scene

BasicPulse is written by Paul Uduk.


If you are new to the blog, a good place to start is the description page and a list of the six essential ideas held on the blog.

Join Our Readers

Get Posts in Your Inbox

Featured post

On Being Remarkable