Taking Charge of Your Morning

Slaying the Day

The morning, just when you are to rise, can be an incredibly painful part of the day. More so when you hold a regular 9 - 5 job. Your pillow becomes a cushion of pure bliss that reality aims to pull your head from. Being that the morning is also a crucial part of the day, the nature of which can make or break what follows, it's best to ensure you make the most of it.

What follows in this post is a compilation of behaviours that can be incorporated into our mornings. To make prepping to slay the day a less than painful experience.

Write A Journal
History is filled with accomplished (and unaccomplished) people who kept journals. Oprah swears it is an indispensable activity. While I struggled with what to write in my journal, I came to realise it doesn't really matter. What is important is getting your mind to settle.




Go for a Walk/Jog
I did this in the month of July. It is by far the most efficient way to raise your consciousness from drowsy to alert-enough-to-start-my-day.

Drink Water
For some reason, staying hydrated has a way of keeping one energized. It's also comforting to know that the need to take a leak will keep you from sleeping in for too long

Meditate
I write about meditation here. In all, any less than 15 minutes activity to keep you in tune with your spirituality will do.

5 minute Exercise
I dreaded exercises. The need to commit a full hour to something painful drove me even farther away from committing. Then, I discovered the 5 minutes exercise. It involves simply doing any strength exercise (push up, pull up, etc) for 5 minutes.

My Morning Routine

I am in the process of habituating my morning routine. I've had to add, remove and re-add some behaviours to see what fits. The picture below shows step by step actions that guide me to starting my day.



It's useful on days in which I have control over my schedule. When the tendency, otherwise, would be to plunge into deeper states of REM. I put it on my bedside as a quick reminder of non-negotiable actions to perform when I rise. So as to mitigate the internal conflict that arises when choosing an action worthy of putting asunder the momentary marital bliss shared between my head and my pillow.

If you have behaviours that help you start your day, be kind as to leave them in the comments.




Thanks for reading.

..........................................
Post Author: P. W. Uduk
..........................................


2 comments:

  1. What do you mean by MIT? I noticed it in the picture of your routine: 3 MIT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MIT is an acronym for Most Important Thing.

      Delete

Leave a comment.

 

Behind The Scene

BasicPulse is written by Paul Uduk.


If you are new to the blog, a good place to start is the description page and a list of the six essential ideas held on the blog.

Join Our Readers

Get Posts in Your Inbox

Featured post

On Being Remarkable